Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for February 2012

What's in a name?

By CCP Gnauton
| Comments

Hi everyone, I'm CCP Gnauton, one of EVE's Senior Writers. I'm currently spearheading an initiative to rename those of EVE's modules and implants whose names have been deemed too confusing by a fearless cross-departmental cadre of game designers, UI designers & content developers.

Read full post

The Eve Online Launcher: T-minus not that much

By CCP Topknot
| Comments

Greetings fellow EVE enthusiasts, we are Team Special Circumstances and the topic of today will be the EVE Online Launcher. What? Launcher? The EVE Online Launcher is a new little program that makes sure your EVE client is up to date and is always ready for flying into space. You might think that the Launcher is just supposed to launch EVE Online, but that's just one piece of the puzzle. Its primary function (not counting launching the game) is to update EVE Online on your computer whenever we ...

Read full post

In development: Redesigning the EVE Rookie Ships

By CCP Guard
| Comments

Most of us still remember our first time in EVE and that special feeling of piloting our very first ship. We didn't have the comparison to the infinitely more powerful vessels we would soon command so to our fresh and unspoiled minds we were the king of the stars for a little while and the rookie ships were our chariots of destruction.

Read full post

Backwards then forwards

By CCP Unifex
| Comments

“The future influences the present just as much as the past.” -Friedrich Nietzsche Hello again everyone. It’s time to to look back at the last few months and then take a quick peak into the near future for the pilots of EVE Online. Last November’s release of Crucible was a key moment for us. Not only did it herald a shift in focus in what types of releases we were going to deliver to you, it also coincided with significant changes in how we, CCP, go about making the game we all love. There is p...

Read full post

EON: Changes in Store & Other Digital Adventures

By CCP Manifest
| Comments

Guest blog by Zapatero from EON, the Official EVE Online Magazine. Enjoy. There have been a few rumblings out there in the social ether, with concerned minds suggesting that all was not well inside Outpost EON. It's true that we've been rather slow in getting the new (26th) issue sent out, but that's not because production is about to cease on the longest-running internet spaceship magazine.

Read full post

The ease of EVE

By CCP Legion
| Comments

The new player experience in EVE has vastly improved since the early days and was last changed for the Incarna expansion. There are still many things to do and we’re looking to further improve the way new capsuleers learn about EVE and its many possibilities. As a part of the refocus on the basics of EVE, a new team has been put together to tackle this important task, consisting of CCP NerfHerder, CCP Feyhr, CCP Dropbear and CCP Legion (the undersigned) and we would like to hear your feedback r...

Read full post

Your Client, Made Gooder

By CCP Veritas
| Comments

Dear Internet Spaceship Fans, CCP Veritas here from the BRAND NEW Team Gridlock. I know, I know, it was just a couple days ago when I was here blogging about Time Dilation which is a thing that the old Team Gridlock did, but there was a period where there wasn’t one but now there is again and let me tell ya we’ve been busy, folks. We’ve got a couple new faces – CCP Snorlax and CCP Colgate, both experienced veterans when it comes to all things client. The servers are doing much better these days...

Read full post

Time Dilation – How’s That Going?

By CCP Veritas
| Comments

Since Time Dilation (TiDi) was activated fully on Jan 18th, we’ve seen it trigger in many different places, from Jita to some of the biggest spaceship slugfests we’ve seen in some time. In all cases, it has kicked in appropriately when the server node has become overloaded, keeping things running responsively and sanely. I want to share my favorite two graphs of the past few weeks with you folks. They display the amount of time dilation in red against the right axis with how delayed module proc...

Read full post

EVE Online: Seven Million Missiles an Hour

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

After the popularity of the statistics that I’ve been posting to twitter, I decided to take a look at 2011 as a whole. Some of the numbers are pretty staggering! Many stats, broken down into categories. Planetary Interaction There was an average of 64,840 planetary export transactions per day, or 2,701 per hour.

Read full post

EVE Fiction: A Note From a Professional Liar

By CCP Abraxas
| Comments

Hi folks. I'm CCP Abraxas; you may know me from such dev blogs as "Hey, we're going to do a lore wiki" and "Oh wow, we did a lore wiki". I'd promised that I would keep you abreast on future developments of our lore, and now that I've got a better handle on how it all went and where our priorities lie - including new parts that I hadn't announced in the last dev blog - I wanted to drop you a quick note to tell you where we're headed. As a side note: While admittedly I am, like all fiction writer...

Read full post

CSM 7 Elections – Candidacy opens in a few hours!

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

The candidacy period for the next CSM election will open at midnight, and if you’re interested in running for a seat on the council you will be able to apply here. A list of criteria can be found in the previous election blog. With this election we’re introducing the new preliminary nomination stage, where each candidate will have to post a campaign thread introducing the platform they are running on in the Jita Park Speakers Corner forum. In order to be eligible to appear on the final ballot, ...

Read full post

All our webs are belong to you

By CCP Alice
| Comments

Hi, CCP Alice here with the latest and greatest from web. Last year we began a strategic journey of improving our web presence by launching a brand new Account Management website and new Forums. I’m here with the first dev blog in a series to come throughout 2012 that will detail important changes and updates to our websites over the course of this year. Currently, the EVE website is a mixed bag.

Read full post