Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for June 2011

The realities of EVE

By CCP Zulu
| Comments

The tone and demeanor of my blog on Friday did not correctly portray my emotions towards the community and player base at large. I love and respect EVE and its community on a level that's hard to really do justice in words. However I let my frustration take charge of me, fueled by emotions that had built up due to a breach of trust we at CCP have been experiencing over the past few days.

Read full post

Fearless, virtual goods, and rage

By CCP Zulu
| Comments

Dear concerned citizens of New Eden This week has seen quite a controversy unfold. In almost the same instant as we deployed Incarna - which by the way is one of our more smooth and successful expansions, not to mention absolutely gorgeous - an internal newsletter with rather controversial topics addressed leaked out.

Read full post

CCP Zulu on third party application licensing

By CCP Guard
| Comments

Dear space friends, To date, the EVE Online third party development community was only permitted to sell its products for ISK. After careful consideration of the growing requests for change, we set out to establish a program that will allow these third party developers to charge a fee for their services, if they so choose, but in such a way that also lets CCP protect its intellectual property and protects the EVE Online community from potentially harmful applications. An overview of our tentativ...

Read full post

Voices from the War: Content Updates in Incarna

By CCP Big Dumb Object
| Comments

Hey, internet spaceship people, I'm back to tell you about new content changes from Commie Pinkos in Incarna. Bear with me, as I'm still only halfway through Old Man Yuengling's vision quest. There are a lot of fixes going in this release, so let's crack open the shell and consume the powers of this noble beast. Killed By Death Last release, BFF added the awesome change of making NPC jamming behave the same as player modules.

Read full post

Turret System Renovation

By CCP Salvo
| Comments

My apologies for the length of this piece, as it is an art blog, which are usually long as we don't do many of them, and there's quite a bit I'd like to cover. Forewarned is fore-armed. ;) With this blog, I am proud to present our new turret system. Why turrets? Why not X, Y, or Z instead? It has been nearly a year since we started this renovation, and we have accomplished much in that time.

Read full post

Alliance Tournaments 5-8: What got blown up?

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

With the ninth alliance tournament drawing to a close this weekend, we in research wanted to take a look at the last four and see exactly how much of what has been blown up over the years. With over 2,400 people taking part in the last four tournaments and over 4,500 kill reports registered with CONCORD, there's quite a lot to dig into! So, without further ado... Tournament 5 6 7 8 Total Assault Ship 9 87 108 36 240 Battlecruiser 39 99 207 131 476 Battleship 87 131 198 110 526 Black Ops 12 3 15 ...

Read full post

You need agents? You can find them!

By CCP Punkturis
| Comments

Hi all, I’m CCP Punkturis, (self-proclaimed) Duchess of Team BFF. Haven’t you all experienced the problem of being in the mood for running missions but not knowing where to find the next agent that hands out missions to your liking? Well I have! So instead of having to ask people in local to explain the agent system for you (some of the people there are not very helpful) or trying to figure this out yourself, wouldn’t it be great to have a simple agent finder? Well I think so! As you may have re...

Read full post

CarbonIO and BlueNet: Next Level Network Technology

By CCP Curt
| Comments

Most folks familiar with EVE know that it's built on Python, Stackless Python to be specific. Stackless is a micro-threading framework built on top of Python allowing for millions of threads to be live, without a lot of additional cost from just being Python. It is still Python and that means dealing with the Global Interpreter Lock (hereafter known as the damn stinkin' GIL, or just GIL for short). The GIL is a serial lock that makes sure only a single thread of execution can access the Python i...

Read full post

API Incarnated

By CCP Elerhino
| Comments

Hello again! How have you been? I for one have had an eventful year and a half, to say the least, but let's not get into that here. I'll see if I can hack the whole story into a slideshow next Fanfest, worst case you buy me a beer and I spill my guts. Anyway. We just want to give you some information about the coming release, Incarna, where we'll be deploying a few updates to the API.

Read full post

Incarna and Multiple Client Users

By CCP Zulu
| Comments

In response to my devblog two weeks ago, Incarna, welcome to your future, there were some concerns raised on what kind of performance was to be expected, especially since the minimum hardware requirements for EVE are still pretty accomodating when it comes to old hardware. Well, we always aimed at getting acceptable performance at what we consider acceptable visual standards in our supported hardware range.

Read full post

Forums are back up and open for testing!

By CCP Elais
| Comments

Hello space ladies and gents The security of the forum package we delivered to you in April was regrettably not as bulletproof as we had hoped. Though we were fortunate not to suffer any damage, I want to extend an apology on behalf of all of us that worked on the new forums. Our trusted Senior Security Administrator, CCP Sreegs, did a great job of explaining in his dev blog the extent to which the "new forum exploit" compromised security.

Read full post

Gridlock, Monikers, and CPU-per-user

By CCP Masterplan
| Comments

Team Gridlock continues to work hard against the demons of fleet lag and could-do-better code. At the end of April we activated a couple of optimisations on Tranquility, and now we've had a few weeks of operation, we can see some measurable results. After sharing these results with the CSM during their recent summit visit, we decided to release them to an even wider audience.

Read full post

DUST 514 coming to PlayStation 3 in 2012

By CCP Hellmar
| Comments

Intrepid Pioneers of the EVE Universe, I just recently finished my walk-on at the Sony Press Conference just before E3 Expo, where I had the privilege to announce that DUST 514 will be launching exclusively on PlayStation 3 in Summer 2012. The hyper-observant amongst you probably figured it out months ago.

Read full post

Dev Track Feedback: Monetizing Your Apps and Services

By CCP Atlas
| Comments

Monetizing 3rd Party Apps tr.v. mon·e·tized, mon·e·tiz·ing, mon·e·tiz·es To establish as legal tender.To coin (money).To convert (government debt) from securities into currency that can be used to purchase goods and services.Cha-Ching. At this year's Fanfest CCP hosted the first Dev Track in what we hope will be a regular event.

Read full post