Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for January 2011

Celebrating the Creative Player IV

By CCP Fallout
| Comments

Welcome to the fourth edition of the "Celebrating the Creative Player" series of blogs. I'm your host, CCP Fallout, and this is my lovely co-writer, CCP Zymurgist, and together we are bringing you some of the best, most interesting and downright cool creations we've come across over the last month. If you follow me on Twitter (@CCP_Fallout), you know of my almost unhealthy love of flowcharts.

Read full post

Power to the End User - Customizable Access API Keys

By CCP Prism X
| Comments

TL;DR: We are completely overhauling the API authentication system, and the API keys, according to most popular wishes from the community, the application developers and the CSM. We are also changing the nomenclature a bit so the term API Key isn‘t as interchangable between different concepts. The what. The EVE API (referred to as API henceforth) is a service we provide to developers outside of CCP so they can provide third party applications aimed at making your EVE experience that more enjoyab...

Read full post

Planetary Interaction changes brought with Incursion 1.1.0

By CCP Omen
| Comments

Planetary Interaction changes brought with Incursion 1.1.0 Summary In this blog I will explain the ins and outs of the new PI features, explain how a defect affected extraction negatively, and share some rules of thumb that will make your PI life easier. The Extractor Control Unit As of Incursion 1.1.0 the planetary extractors became obsolete and were replaced by the new pinnacle of Planetary Industry: The Extractor Control Unit (ECU). The ECU is, as the name suggests, a control device.

Read full post

Dear Incurserers(?)

By CCP Soundwave
| Comments

Incursions opened Tuesday, January 25, 2011, and we’re seeing tremendous activity in the constellations. I’d like to thank everyone who has tried this feature, regardless if you made it out of the sites alive or not. As with most other features, tossing thousands of players at them means that some things break or need tweaking, and Incursions are no different.

Read full post

An update on the SSE compatibility issue

By CCP Zulu
| Comments

Dear players, As I mentioned in my blog a couple of weeks ago we ran into unexpected issues with SSE support in the final stages of Incursion 1.1.0 testing. We‘ve been looking into the issue since then and have come to the conclusion that making the EVE Online client backwards compatible with SSE1 and non-SSE compatible CPUs would cause a performance decrease for those with more up-to-date processors.

Read full post

The API is going HTTPS

By CCP Stillman
| Comments

Hi everyone, If you're anything like me, you religiously check the status of your character training and market orders on your smartphone. It's the greatest invention ever, especially if you can't log into EVE Online or EVE Gate. It's also nice to be able to pull out your smartphone at Fanfest and show off your nice skills and large wallet. As we've added more information to the API, there's more incentive to try and acquire these keys by nefarious people.

Read full post

Internet spaceship crashes are serious business

By CCP Stillman
| Comments

Greetings Capsuleer, This blog might be slightly odd compared to the normal dev blogs you read around here, but in a good way. After the Council of Stellar Management was here some weeks ago and had the opportunity to sit down with senior testers and Quality Assurance leads, we realized that Quality Assurance is something which we rarely talk about in terms of the ongoing process it is; rather we refer to it once in a while when something goes wrong.

Read full post

Candidacy period for CSM6 to open soon

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

With Council of Stellar Management due to leave office on April 6th, it's almost time for the candidacy period for CSM6 to open up. The dates for the next election period are as follows: February 9th to 23rd – Candidacy application period opensMarch 2nd – Publication of the list of approved candidates March 9th – Voting opens March 23rd – Voting closes March 30th – Results announced April 6th – CSM 6 takes office April 2012 – CSM 7 takes office The time of the CSM summits in Reykjavik have not y...

Read full post

Account Security Improvements Part 1 - Phishing

By CCP Sreegs
| Comments

Greetings Internet Space Pilots! This is the first in what will be an indeterminate number of blogs which will be focusing on our ongoing mission to keep your account information secure. I should mention that this particular blog is the vast majority of the security portion of the CSM meeting, which was removed from the meeting minutes in favor of this blog.

Read full post

New Character Creator Update

By CCP Caedmon
| Comments

Character Creator Update Player feedback has shown us that there is a lack of clarity in the portrait creation stage of the new character creation process. In particular, it is not clear enough: i) which of the four available portraits will be used in-game, ii) that players are unable to come back and adjust their portraits once they proceed through character customization and into the game. Changes to the portrait creation UI to make the process more clear We are implementing UI fixes that we h...

Read full post

Presenting the Portrait Preservation Project

By CCP Purple Tentacle
| Comments

My name is CCP Purple Tentacle from Team Yggdrasil, the team responsible for EVE Gate. I am a real old-timer in EVE, have been a player since it was released in 2003. As a result, my character and I have gone through a lot together. I got used to seeing his familiar face multiple times a day, and this brings us to the topic of this little blog: the old character portraits. As most of you already know, on Tuesday we are releasing Incursion, which comes with a brand new avatar creation system.

Read full post

Changes to CPU requirements with Incursion 1.1.0

By CCP Zulu
| Comments

TL;DR: CPUs that don't support the SSE2 instruction set will not be able to run EVE Online after the Incursion 1.1.0 deployment on Tuesday, January 18, 2011. This will cause players still using Intel Pentium 3 or older and AMD Athlon XP or older CPUs to not be able to run the EVE Online client.

Read full post

CSM December Summit - Meeting minutes (Part 3 of 3)

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

The third and final section of the CSM minutes are now available here, covering the following topics from the meetings: · Incarna game play and vision · Incarna new player experiences and captain's quarters · Account security · Thursday pre-meetings - Arnargeddon · Game balance requests · Game Design talks to the CSM · Post Dominion 0.0 You can find first two sections consolidated into a single document here.

Read full post

The Sanshas Are Coming

By CCP Soundwave
| Comments

If you like ships with lots of spikes that fly around and try to kill players, you’re in luck. Patch day is coming soon, which means you will all get to play with the Incursion feature shortly. On January 18, we will softly rub the hamsters in the server room till they fall asleep, prod them sweetly with foreign objects, and, if we’re lucky, they’ll wake up again with brand new content later that day.

Read full post

CSM December Summit - Meeting minutes (Part 2 of 3)

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

With many thanks to the members of the CSM as well as the CSM team and developers who met with the CSM, the second of three parts of the CSM minutes are now available here. The final part will be released this weekend. This section covers: · Wednesday Post-Meeting - The Hilmarillion · Virtual goods · EVE Economics · EVE UI · EVE QA · CCP Core You can find the blog for the first section here. As always, head on over to the comments thread if you'd like to discuss anything in the minutes, or check...

Read full post

Introducing the EVE Gate Forum

By CCP Alice
| Comments

Hi, I'm CCP Alice. I'm working with Team Occam's Razor, and we are responsible for bringing a new feature-rich forum to EVE Gate as part of the Incursion expansion. TL:DR Graphical representation of the forum upgrade: Our aim is to further embrace and empower the existing social network in EVE Online, and moving our beloved forum to EVE Gate has given us the opportunity to bring about vast improvements in this area for our players.

Read full post

CSM December Summit - Meeting minutes (Part 1 of 3)

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

The members of the fifth CSM and several developers have been slaving over a hot word processor, and are now pleased to be able to bring you the first of three sections of the meeting minutes for the CSM summit this December at CCP HQ in Reykjavik. The other two sections will be released within the next week. The first release today covers the following meetings that took place: · CSM and the EVE websites · Permanent CCP-administered Charity · CSM processes, tools and evolution · CSM Issues · CS...

Read full post

Character Portraits

By CCP Lopi
| Comments

As our players are probably aware of now, we are shipping a new awesome character creator as a part of our last Incursion release this January. We here at CCP believe that we are making history - a milestone in how character creation should look and feel in computer games with the capabilities to finely sculpt the appearance of your character with such incredible detail - and this makes us very excited.

Read full post