Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for December 2010

Celebrating the Creative Player III

By CCP Fallout
| Comments

Hello, everybody! This is the final installment of our blog series "Celebrating the Creative Player" for 2010, and the entire EVE Online Community team would like to thank all of our players for their continued creative expression. EVE is a remarkable game that seems to inspire so many of you, and we continue to be in awe of the talent inherent with the EVE community. In this edition, CCP Zymurgist and I will showcase some of the more interesting things we've come across in the last month that p...

Read full post

Contracts Improvements

By CCP Atlas
| Comments

Contracts Improvements As a part of the Incursion 1.1 expansion in January we are including quite a lot of improvements to the aging Contracts system. There are a lot of things in this system that could be done better, and over the years we have gotten quite a lot of suggestions from players on how to improve the search part of Contracts. Backend work The reason that we are doing this now primarily stems from backend performance issues.

Read full post

Neo NeoCom

By CCP Optimal
| Comments

Comparing this ancient screenshot of the EVE client to what we are currently used to stare at day in and day out reveals many interesting things.

Read full post

Raging on

By GM Grimmi
| Comments

It's been almost one and a half years now since we pushed ahead with operation Unholy Rage in our campaign against RMT. Much ground has been gained during this period, most notably in the field of spam control, in limiting the damage from account hacking and in the promotion of PLEX as an alternative for those looking for more ISK. Hundreds of accounts are banned every week for macro use and other RMT related activities, and we constantly explore ways to help us adapt to the ever changing method...

Read full post

Fixing Lag: Drakes of Destiny (Part 2)

By CCP Masterplan
| Comments

Previously... In the first part of this blog, I talked about what Destiny is, and showed how a tool called Telemetry is helping us visualise where we should focus our efforts to improve server performance. I ended with a highlight of a particular problem - missile spamming Drakes causing excessive Destiny load. This time, I'm going to show how I changed the situation for the better. I'm going to begin at the end. Or, more specifically, I'm going to show the results. Figure 1 shows the overall al...

Read full post

Fixing Lag: Drakes of Destiny (Part 1)

By CCP Masterplan
| Comments

Listen Up Hi. I'm CCP Masterplan, one of the members of Team Gridlock. Our job in Gridlock is to tackle the issues of degraded performance under excessive load - in particular making EVE's signature massive fleet-fights more fun. Whilst CCP Veritas has been having lots of fun switching modules on and off, I've been looking at another area of server load: Things in space. Specifically, adding and removing them, moving them around, and how we tell your clients all about them. You might have seen m...

Read full post

2010 Holiday Ship : The CONCORD Echelon

By CCP Loktofeit
| Comments

It's that time of year again, when people get into the spirit of giving, even the people 23,000 years into the future. CONCORD has joined in the seasonal festivities by packing its hangars with a very special gift for the capsuleers of New Eden. December 14th, the pilots of EVE Online will receive the latest ship to roll off of the CONCORD production line - the Echelon. (Click to Enlarge) Constructed in secrecy, the Echelon is a minor masterpiece of engineering, integrating otherwise incomprehen...

Read full post

Chronicles: With Acknowledgments to Mad Dogs

By CCP Abraxas
| Comments

So this was how it started off, somewhat dramatically, back somewhere in the murky pre-recession depths of 2006: "I don't know what you saw," she says, "because it's different for everyone. I see snowflakes, gently drifting about inside the boxes. Other people see colors, and others can only tell by feel.

Read full post

Character Creation

By CCP Ph00ze
| Comments

We figured that with the attention our character creation system has been getting lately, that it was time to write a devblog about it. There´s lots to cover, so let´s get to it! The Carbon Character System was made to enable us to create characters for several projects, including Eve.

Read full post