Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for October 2010

Death to downtimes!

By CCP Hunter.
| Comments

Greetings, capsuleers. First off, I would like to introduce myself. I am CCP Hunter, Database Administrator in the Virtual World Operations department. The VW Ops department is responsible for the daily operation of Tranquility and all that relates to it: the databases, endless amount of servers, test servers and web servers. The Big Announcement! Since the launch of EVE Online in May 2003, our official daily downtime has been 60 minutes, from 11:00 - 12:00 UTC. However, over the past two years ...

Read full post

CSM reports: Sense and Sensibility… and Spaceships

By CCP Xhagen
| Comments

During the Council of Stellar Management's recent visit to Iceland, the delegates had six major meetings with CCP staff. The general purpose of the visit was to give the CSM more background information on CCP processes, and develop better ways for CCP to use CSM input to improve EVE Online. In addition to this, many other topics of general interest to the EVE community were discussed in detail, planning was begun for the December Summit, and the CSM was invited to observe some Sprint Demos.

Read full post

64 bits should be enough for everybody

By CCP Creber Cattus
| Comments

tl;dr: We are changing the inventory system to use 64-bit numbers. It's a massive change with no gameplay functionality added/changed/removed. Only behind the scene changes that can break stuff! :p But this step is necessary for the growth of EVE. For the last 6 months we have been refactoring the inventory system in the game to use 64-bit numbers. What does that mean? Well...

Read full post

API Security - To whom do you give the keys to your spaceship?

By CCP Stillman
| Comments

Dear internet spaceship pilots, As you might have learned from PrismX's dev blog about Tyrannis 1.2, we're adding a bunch of new features to the API later this month. This means that developers have the ability to make much cooler applications for you as a user, but it also increases the potential for abuse of the full API keys.

Read full post

Celebrating the Creative Player

By CCP Fallout
| Comments

Hello, capsuleers! I'm CCP Fallout, the Associate Community Manager for EVE Online bringing you the inaugural monthly blog series featuring EVE Online player creativity. Many tend to think of the EVE Online Community team as being nothing more than forum monkeys chasing evil peanuts across the forums, when in fact this is just one part of our job.

Read full post

EVE Gate - Incursion and beyond

By CCP Priya
| Comments

EVE Gate continues to expand and we have quite a few goodies in store for the Incursion release. The team has been hard at work over the last few months adding functionality, fixing bugs and tweaking what we already have to be even better. The main features we'll be adding in the coming expansion are already out on Singularity (test.evegate.com) for you to go check out. Contact labels The Contact labels are a new feature in the client and EVE Gate and work as replacement to the old contact folde...

Read full post

Tyrannis 1.1, fallout and why it's a good thing(tm)

By CCP Zulu
| Comments

So what is all this "UI Core" stuff about anyway? You may have noticed that we released a patch a couple of weeks ago that, well, broke a lot of things in the UI that we've since been madly trying to fix. There's been a fairly common response to this, which is (paraphrased) "OH GOD CCP WHAT ARE YOU DOING AAARGH" - which in the absence of any proper explanation from us, honestly seems pretty reasonable.

Read full post

Attention on Deck - Cool Stuff Happening in Incursion

By CCP Chronotis
| Comments

The time of Incursion approaches as the shadow of the Sansha's Nation reaches across EVE Online. Incursion is bringing a great bag of awesome and it's time to mention some of the icing on cake changes coming as well, which will interest many of you covering some timely welcome additions and balancing. Tech II ammo getting some love Tech II ammo is getting some love in the coming expansion. We are focusing on the short range versions of the Tech II ammo such as Gleam, Conflagration, Hail, Quake, ...

Read full post

Cutting it short: EVE shortcuts revamped

By CCP Optimal
| Comments

There are times in EVE Online where split second decisions make the difference between life and death. It is entirely possible that those split second decisions must be made through a right-click menu. Realizing that this may not be the best way of doing things, we have done a complete revamp of the shortcut system in EVE Online, which will be hitting Tranquility in the upcoming release, Incursion. There is bad news... To be able to do shortcuts properly, we saw no other option than dis...

Read full post

Planetary Interaction and the Future

By CCP Omen
| Comments

Dear EVE players. I am Marcus, or CCP Omen. I am Swedish and I am a recent addition to the Game Design staff of EVE Online. I started in late May and since then I have been working on the Planetary Interaction team. I have about six years of experience in the game industry and my previous work includes Dreamlords, Battlefield: Heroes, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and my latest project "Super Squid" for the iPhone. This is my first dev blog, I hope you will like it. Best regardsMarcusThe current st...

Read full post

TransGaming Transmission: A Closer Look Inside the EVE Online Mac Client

By TG Maladara
| Comments

o/ Capsuleers! I'm Gavriel State, Founder and Chief Technology Officer at TransGaming, guest-blogging for CCP to tell you a bit more about the process that we use to enable EVE on the Mac, and to outline some of the challenges we face and overcome every day, to bring you the best EVE Mac experience we can. As most of you know, EVE on the Mac runs with the support of TransGaming's Cider technology.

Read full post

EVE and ShaderModel support – Episode II

By CCP Zulu
| Comments

TL;DR: Graphics cards with ShaderModel 3.0 support will become the minimum required graphics cards to run EVE Online at a yet-to-be-announced date in Q2 2011. The TL version: You may remember about a year and a half ago we decided to discontinue support for legacy graphics cards by setting the new minimum hardware spec for EVE Online at ShaderModel 2.0.

Read full post

Incursion Dungeon Mass Test!

By CCP Manticore
| Comments

Hey everyone! It's time to do that age old task of testing your metal against our fire. We will be pushing the Incursion dungeons out this week. Once we do, we will need a few good pilots to do their worst! The Incursion test will occur on Singularity and will start Thursday October 7 @ 14:00 UTC Devs will be coming in periodically to assist with organization, observation, and to gather direct feedback. So, how will the dungeons be set up, you ask? I have your answer! There will be three systems...

Read full post

Introducing our new character creator

By CCP t0rfifrans
| Comments

Respected players, With our upcoming expansion, EVE Online: Incursion, we will be rolling out entirely new avatars for all of our characters and NPCs in EVE Online. The character art is one of the few remaining pieces from the game that has remained as it was when it launched back in 2003.

Read full post

The API Dev Blog Trilogy - Volume Three -- He who controls the data (Tyrannis 1.2)

By CCP Prism X
| Comments

...controls the universe! Now that we are all aware of the coming data type changes that I covered in my earlier blog it is time to move on to the new and the improved! Originally we had planned on waiting with these changes until the next expansion but, seeing as we had to put out the type changes, we figured we might use the opportunity and give you some other shinies to play around with. CCP created the API Test Service to train the code... Up until now any development against new or updated ...

Read full post