Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for August 2010

Fixing Lag: Character Nodes

By CCP Atlas
| Comments

EVE has a deadly cobra strike force team alpha of extremely dedicated and proficient developers fighting the Lagmonster tooth and nail as their only mission. Through their work and the work of others, there's now, at this moment, a perfect storm within the company and we have a great number of fixes in the pipes that will knock your socks off. Our hope is that very soon our beloved Tranquility will be able to support fleet fights of a scale that far exceeds anything you've seen before, ...

Read full post

Stackless Python 2.7

By CCP porkbelly
| Comments

From the lookout post of the impregnable CCP stronghold high in the Equus Mortuus mountains, we can see the world turning beneath us. As the universe slowly cools and we turn into ever older geezers, so also do the tools of our trade evolve. As you may know, EVE has at its core the programming language known as Stackless Python. When development of EVE was started, all we had to go by was a pocket watch, a piece of twisted wire, Stackless Python 1.5 and an LP with a band called Randver. Stackles...

Read full post

Fixing Lag: Module Lag - Why Not All Bugfixes Are A Good Idea

By CCP Veritas
| Comments

As we're all too painfully aware, when a few hundred pod pilots get together and exchange ammunition, the dreaded "lag monster" often comes around. There are a number of distinct phenomena that are referred to as lag. It is important to distinguish between them, as they typically have different causes/solutions (even if the symptoms seem the same, like "my guns didn't work").

Read full post

The End to Science from Beyond the Grave (and more)!

By CCP Soundwave
| Comments

I like planning. I really do. I think calendars are pretty sexy and my OCD acts up when things aren’t color coded, have point values or do barrel rolls. This summer, I planned to sneak a few smaller items onto my teams backlog and positively surprise the Council of Stellar Management (CSM) when they got here.

Read full post

Carbon and the Core Technology Group

By CCP Unifex
| Comments

Over the last few days you will have seen the blogs coming out from the boffins in our engineering teams about Mass Testing, Long Lag and Thin Clients. In some of these blogs you will have seen reference to ‘Core' teams and so I wanted to take this chance to introduce the Core Technology Group (CTG), let you know what it is we do and where we sit within the CCP development structure. At the end of June, our CEO Hilmar Veigar Petursson referred to CCP's Core Technology Platform ...

Read full post

Fixing Lag: And I, for one, welcome our new automaton overlords

By CCP Atropos
| Comments

Over the last few months I've been working on something very cool that some of you may have heard about; it's a project to rework the guts of the EVE game client to remove the audio and visual aspects of the game. In other words, to slim the client down as much as possible so that it can be considered 'lite' or 'thin'. And thus the Thin Client(TM) was born! Click to see the thin client in all its glory... What can this thin client do? The basis for the thin client is the very EVE client you use ...

Read full post

The Long Lag

By CCP Warlock
| Comments

As the CSM has been kind enough to request, and with apologies for a holiday-related delay, here is the presentation I gave at the Para 2010 conference a couple of months ago. To give you a little background, this presentation was based on my Ph.D.

Read full post

Need for MOAR Speed

By CCP Zulu
| Comments

Pilots of New Eden, We have a series of blogs coming out to give a better insight into the technical side of CCP and progress in our long battle on lag. We know this issue is important to you, and there's plenty of room for further explanation, so we hope you tune in here in the coming weeks and months to follow our efforts. We call this the long battle on lag because there's not a single issue that creates lag or removes it.

Read full post

... and the cycle continues, or not? What is going on with the EVE economic cycle?

By CCP Dr.EyjoG
| Comments

Insurance changes, planetary interactions and an improved demographic section are now all included in the latest Quarterly Economic Newsletter for EVE Online. In this issue we also have the standard price level discussion, indices and the market snapshots. In Q2 of 2010 there were some very interesting fluctuations seen in the overall economy, the most significant one being a break in the standard economic cycle around expansions. This shift in the cycle is attributed to insurance and l...

Read full post