Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for March 2010

The Circle of Life

By CCP Chronotis
| Comments

Our next expansion is focused around planets and all the cool stuff going on there as outlined in Hammer's recent blog. There will be many more blogs to follow covering the details of the first release of planetary interaction and other gritty details on Tyrannis in the weeks ahead. The focus of this blog is to talk about upcoming changes covering two important and linked topics, life and death and something of everything in-between, or, more specifically with less analogies: minerals and ship i...

Read full post

EVE: The Burning Life novel now for sale!

By CCP Abraxas
| Comments

"You died not when you expired, but when your life was neatly packed away." That's at the start of the novel. Actually, a lot of people die very soon after, and not very neatly, either. The novel is called EVE: The Burning Life, and it's out now in the UK and very soon in the US (March 30th).

Read full post

CSM - Call for Candidates and Changes to the CSM

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

After reviewing the CSM process with the CSM we have reached the joint conclusion that the following changes will strengthen and improve the structure as a whole. The changes proposed will take effect with the 5th CSM, inaugurated this coming June. · The CSM will move from six month terms to twelve month terms.

Read full post

Standings design revisions

By CCP Greyscale
| Comments

So, a couple of weeks ago I wrote this blog, where we talked about (among other things) changes to the standings system that we were planning for Tyrannis. We got some good, solid feedback in the comments thread, which prompted us to think some more about the design, and then have a meeting to discuss our plan going forward.

Read full post

Puttin' on the foil coach

By CCP Rhayger
| Comments

No, we’re not hiring the Hanson brothers to deal with RMT threats. As there is no one better at beating up targets than EVE pilots, we thought we'd enlist your talents in slapping EVE Gate into shape. As CCP t0rfifrans outlined on his blog introducing Tyrannis, we will be delivering the very first iteration of EVE Gate in the upcoming expansion.

Read full post

Livin' on a Prayer

By CCP Hammer
| Comments

Whoa, we're half way there. You might be wondering why I'm spouting Bon Jovi lyrics. It's because much like Tommy who worked on the docks and Gina who worked in the diner all day, we at CCP are also half way there. Half way to bringing you Tyrannis, the next free expansion to EVE Online. I'm CCP Hammerhead, Lead Game Designer of EVE.

Read full post

Account Security

By GM Grimmi
| Comments

RMT elements drain our resources with incessant account hacking. This is an Industry-wide problem and most MMOs are beset by non-stop issues with players' assets and hard work being stolen and sold off for real money by organized criminal networks, who will stop at nothing in order to profit. Until last summer we experienced regular issues with mass hacking a couple of times a year, usually around Christmas and then again in the middle of summer.

Read full post

Retrospective: How was the CSM Summit in Iceland?

By CCP Xhagen
| Comments

In short, the answer to the question is nothing less than "The CSM4 summit in Iceland has been the best summit so far." The CSM1 summit was also very good, but for a different reason. Back then we were going in blind and much of the summit, although nowhere stated specifically, was about testing the theory and establishing work methods and traditions.

Read full post

DEV BLOG SNIPAH: Alliance Tournament 8!

By CCP Claw
| Comments

Hello eSports fans! It is my proud duty to bring to you the details of Alliance Tournament VIII - it's like Alliance Tournament VII, but with an extra I! Along with this blog release comes the latest update to the Alliance Tournament section of the site. Cast your eyes a little bit to the left, and a little bit downwards; almost...almost...there we go! Both the rules and the format sections have been updated, so I'd like to explain some of the thought processes behind these updates. We have seen...

Read full post

Progress Update: Restoring Tranquility to Tranquility

By CCP Valar
| Comments

Since November 25th 2009, a few days before the deployment of Dominion, we have experienced frequent unscheduled reboots of Tranquility. Almost all of those were due to a bug in the networking subsystem that causes the SQL Server to fail over. Why, oh, why and what are you doing about it? As soon as the first failover happened, we, per our policy, opened up a support case with the vendor regarding the incident, since our logs, surprisingly, showed nothing.

Read full post