Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for September 2009

Stop Dreaming and Do It!

By CCP Heimdall
| Comments

Your story, next year: I woke up excited to go to work this morning; never thought I‘d say that before this job. I get in a bit early to the office. My team needs me and the pressure is on. We‘ve busted our butts these last couple of sprints to get our baby fine-tuned and ready for Sisi, and the deadline for the new build looms.

Read full post

Call for Candidates - the fourth Council of Stellar Management

By CCP Xhagen
| Comments

Is it that time once more? Yes it is! Soon we will open the candidate applications page for the fourth term of the CSM (details of dates below). Like the three terms before, the full name and location of the candidate will be published, along with the candidate's character name, URL and campaign message.

Read full post

CODENAME “COSMOS” – Release Plan and Feature Outline

By CCP Caedmon
| Comments

COSMOS is an ambitious project and as such is many things to many people. Though the description "social networking tool" is fitting, "EVE away from EVE" is much closer to our long-term vision. In order to be a bit more concrete, I thought I'd give you a quick run-down of what exactly we expect COSMOS will be in its first of many incarnations, and how the pieces fit into the bigger picture. On the core feature list we have: home, profiles, improved contact list and an improved mail system.

Read full post

System Requirements

By CCP Explorer
| Comments

tl;dr With the release of EVE Online: Dominion this winter the minimum system requirements needed to run the EVE client will become Windows XP Service Pack 2. We will at the same time officially support Windows 7. Updates, updates, updates, ... The history of EVE is the history of continuous enhancements, updates, upgrades, and new and improved technology; both client and server software updates as well as hardware upgrades.

Read full post

Recent events with the ISD Volunteer Team

By CCP Ginger
| Comments

I'm CCP Ginger, Volunteer Manager for EVE Online. Last weekend external resources related to the Interstellar Services Department (ISD), EVE's volunteer program, were compromised which led to the theft of some volunteer program related data but also information about specific volunteers.

Read full post

print 'Hello, world'

By CCP WeirdFish
| Comments

Hello, everyone! I am CCP WeirdFish, one of the new additions to CCP’s QA department. I’m sure most have you have seen me on Singularity where I am usually causing trouble and responding to player issues. I have the opportunity to talk to you about my current task, which is to work with the Bug Hunters and QA to run some public test events and to monitor the test server and the forums for player feedback and issues.

Read full post

Dominion - The Capital Battlefield

By CCP Abathur
| Comments

"If I have an unstoppable super weapon, I will use it as early and as often as possible instead of keeping it in reserve." - Evil Overlord Rule #40 It began over four years ago with the Dreadnaughts; massive engines of destruction designed to engage the starbases released in the Exodus expansion and the Outposts of Cold War. Then came Red Moon Rising and the advent of Carriers, Motherships and Titans. When capital ships were first introduced, the Alliances of EVE were just beginning to ...

Read full post

Sovereignty: Emergence is neat

By CCP Greyscale
| Comments

We've been thinking about nullsec for quite a long time. The last big round of changes were made in Revelations II back in summer 2007, and we've been watching the results ever since. Some things worked out pretty well. Some things not so much. Some things have changed in the intervening period. And now here we are, two years on, and we've been given a mandate to re-engineer the dynamics of nullsec.

Read full post

Facing Destiny

By CCP GingerDude
| Comments

Welcome class I'm CCP GingerDude and I've been tasked with edumacating y'all on the recent changes I've done to our simulation engine, Destiny, particularly as it relates to the long standing and elusive issue known as desync. Now, if you'd take your seats, remove your headphones and turn off them darned thingamajics you're constantly fidgeting with, we can get down to business. So, what is Destiny? Destiny, as stated above, is the simulation engine in EVE.

Read full post

Sovereignty - Breaking the Chains

By CCP Abathur
| Comments

"Do not fear change, embrace it." This blog is the first in a series which will focus on giving you a glimpse into some of the big features of our next expansion, Dominion. In this one, we want to give you a high level overview of how we plan to change the sovereignty mechanic. Subsequent blogs will detail things such as the theories behind some of these new concepts and, eventually, the actual mechanics as well as a few other key bits we feel directly affect the massive sandbox of null...

Read full post

A CSM delegate resigns

By CCP Xhagen
| Comments

On Thursday, September 3rd, Adam Ridgway (aka Larkonis Trassler) bought items worth of 2.5 billion ISK in order to stockpile those items before a game design change would be implemented. Further 2.5 billion was traded in these same items earlier that night based on the same information but through another character.

Read full post

Fanfest 2009 and Child's Play

By CCP Navigator
| Comments

During Fanfest 2008, the Community Team organised two events which were designed to raise funds for Child's Play, a charity of which CCP are proud to be a passionate supporter. With the help of the players, we managed to raise close to 1 million Krona for this very worthy cause.

Read full post

Down in the trenches – a tale of commitment and greatness

By CCP Lemur
| Comments

Hi, my name is CCP Lemur. I am the liaison for the Equipment Certification and Anomaly Investigations Division (ECAID), aka the Bug Hunters, and want to tell you how great they are. Who are these Bug Hunters you are speaking of? They are the oldest division of ISD to be created and have been a very valuable partner for the QA department and EVE as a whole ever since.

Read full post