Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for July 2009

COSMOS: How the puzzle pieces fit together

By CCP Rhayger
| Comments

Why a social networking tool for EVE now? First off, something that we as EVE players can be proud of: EVE was a social network when Facebook was still just a way for Mark Zuckerberg to assess whether his classmates were more attractive than farm animals. COSMOS is about giving all players the tools they need to organize, plan and share their EVE experiences.

Read full post

EVE³: Fanfest PvP Tournament 2009

By CCP Claw
| Comments

Ladies and Mentlegen, It is with much yarr in my heart that I bring tidings of yet another excellent EVE Online tournament. Another chance to blow your friends and enemies to smithereens. Another chance to test your leet spaceship skillz. Another chance to fight for glory under the exacting gaze of your esteemed peers. The tournament will take place in the fabulous and famous EVE Fanfest PvP room, this year new and improved (I didn’t think it was possible either, but CCP Tyr is pretty epic) with...

Read full post

Our upcoming novel: The Burning Life

By CCP Abraxas
| Comments

"We will eat the body and sanctify its blood, to let it be born again." That's the start of it. They don't really eat the body, though. "You're dead," the capsuleer replied, fear giving its easy way to anger. "You're both dead." "We are," the woman said to him. And that's near the end.

Read full post

COSMOS

By CCP Caedmon
| Comments

A while back, at the last (incredible) Fanfest, you may recall CCP Oveur dropping a word or two into his keynote speech about an EVE Online community site called COSMOS. Since that announcement, we have been quiet, but we have been working like squirrels researching and designing COSMOS with the goal of creating the most reliable and awesome backend system tied to the wonder that is EVE. The first time you will get to play with COSMOS will be with our winter expansion, but to stop you from being...

Read full post

War is a full time job

By CCP Ytterbium
| Comments

For the standard male Internet addicted dev, the concept of "cleaning up" remains an obscure, long since lost art form, veiled by mystery and shrouded by fear. You may think of it like an event that so rarely happens it will most likely never be witnessed in one person's life time, like a perfect alignment for all the solar system planets, or a beer left untouched in a CCP office.

Read full post

Encore: EVE Online 'Core'

By CCP Explorer
| Comments

Engineering updates to EVE We recently released significant engineering updates to EVE Online in Apocrypha 1.2 and Apocrypha 1.3. This work is actually not mentioned at all in the Apocrypha 1.2 release notes, and the release notes for Apocrypha 1.3 only briefly describe the exact part that was released in that particular update.

Read full post

Two New Content Dev Positions

By CCP Molock
| Comments

So here we are, working on stuff for our summer patch and, beyond that, for the upcoming winter release. We've got a ton of new content work to do, but there's a lot of other tweaking, maintenance, and updating we'd like to get to as well. There are a lot of things about EVE that are great, but we always want to make it better. But of course there are only so many hands available to do the work.

Read full post

Bugs at the gates

By CCP Gangleri
| Comments

We recently fixed a bug which caused client lock ups for some of our customers. There were forum threads calling for heads to roll and all sorts of angry talk. Which is understandable, we screwed up. This blog is a collaboration between myself and CCP GingerDude in an effort to uncover the history of this bug. And so it begins... Sit down me wee ones and let me tell ye a tale.

Read full post

My rifter is equipped with the following rigs…

By CCP Chronotis
| Comments

This isn't a phrase many of you are accustomed to hearing right now in EVE and for good reason. Rigs are relatively expensive and to rig or not to rig is one of the toughest questions we face when making our ship fitting decisions. The right rig can make your ship awesome and in some cases radically alter the performance of your ship. We want to enable you to have the option to fit your frigates or cruisers with more cost effective rigs, so without further ado, let's talk about multi-si...

Read full post