Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for October 2008

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

By CCP Chronotis
| Comments

Much has changed in Eve since many of the hauler or mining class ships were introduced. With Quantum Rise we felt the time was right to review these ships and make changes where necessary to refocus their roles and ensure they can still perform in the age of New Eden's Great War. Of all the ships, we found the transport class to be the most lacking in distinct roles, so much of this blog will focus on the changes to those and then we will briefly list some of the other improvements to s...

Read full post

Eve TV & Fanfest

By CCP Loxy
| Comments

Now, this is a story all about how... So to start this off maybe a quick introduction is in order, I'm Charlie the newest face in the CCP Marketing team, working as a video producer and having the fantastic role of managing EVE TV's events. While EVE TV may be changing a bit in the future, its ideals are still based on "something made by EVE players, for EVE players." I can safely speak for myself and others who have moved from EVE TV to CCP that we'll continue to put all our efforts, a...

Read full post

Alchemy

By CCP Greyscale
| Comments

As Dr.EyjoG has remarked in the past, one of the differences between the EVE economy and real-life economies is the inability for the participants - that's you lot - to work around inefficiencies with genuine product innovation. In a real-world economy, shortages and bottlenecks drive R&D teams to find new and better ways of doing things.

Read full post

BUDDY PROGRAM GIVEAWAY – SPECIAL EDITION COMMODORE RIG

By CCP 4P's
| Comments

With FanFest only two weeks away and Quantum Rise bringing technology and content to new levels, now is a great time to be a part of the EVE community. We’re going that extra mile on all fronts, and the Buddy program is no exception. From today until the start of FanFest, CCP will be tracking all Buddy invites to see who locks down the highest number of Buddy conversions from invites sent during that time.

Read full post

2nd CSM Candidate Applications Breakdown

By CCP Diagoras
| Comments

As the first Council of Stellar Management nears its end, preparations for the second are well underway. Here is a breakdown of the applications received during the candidacy phase of the second CSM: · We received 71 applications · We accepted 42. · We rejected 29. Rejection reasons: o A passport scan was not supplied by the applicant. o Incomplete information provided in the application. o EULA violations committed by the applicant. o Two applications sent in by CCP for testing purpose...

Read full post

The Orca

By CCP Chronotis
| Comments

The development of the Orca has been unusual to say the least. With the introduction of the Rorqual last year Oveur immediately pointed out the remaining glaring gap in the industrial ship line and commanded us to fill it. So we set to work by halving the attributes of the Rorqual and calling it the Orca (one of the original suggested names for the Rorqual) so we could tinker on our development server with it and begin the process of molding its role. This was in the days before we had our Branc...

Read full post

Weapon Grouping

By CCP Ytterbium
| Comments

Optimization is such a wonderful concept. Technically it means “the procedure or procedures used to make a system or design as effective or functional as possible”. Technically applied to a Dev breakfast, it would imply filling a mixer with bread, meat, salad, coffee plus various other possibly out of date consumables and directly inject the output to our veins through a syringe.

Read full post

Alliance Logo Submissions - Streamlining the Process

By CCP Loktofeit
| Comments

Out with the Old, In with the New The Alliance Logo System is a feature that allows players to submit unique and custom icons to appear in game for their alliances. The submission process up to this point has sufficed, but we felt it was time to revisit it in order to create a more streamlined and effective path for both the players and the developers.

Read full post

Born Global

By CCP Hellmar
| Comments

On a sunny day in June 1997, CCP was founded in Reykjavik, Iceland. A lot has happened since then and today CCP is a global enterprise with offices in Atlanta, Shanghai, London and Reykjavik, with a diversified employee base and partner relationships that span the globe many times over. CCP is fortunate enough to be well isolated from the current banking crisis we see around us on both sides of the Atlantic (and here in the middle of it, of course).

Read full post

Quarterly Economic Newsletter, 1st Quarter 2008 is finally here

By CCP Dr.EyjoG
| Comments

Dear capsuleers, First of all I must apologize to all of you that have been waiting for the next QEN. This one is long overdue. The main reason for this cancellation has been an over commitment of our resources, both my own as well as those of other supporting roles that we need in order to be able to make each QEN. But in the end the responsibility is mine, and mine alone, and therefore I apologize to all of you, our faithful pilots, for this delay in the publication. But the good news is that ...

Read full post

Why ghost training was disabled

By CCP t0rfifrans
| Comments

As many of you know by now, on Wednesday, Oct 15th, CCP will put out a server update disabling "ghost training". Ghost Training was an unintended feature where unpaid accounts of EVE Online were able to continue training skills. While this allowed players to run multiple characters on a shoestring budget, in all effect, this was a bug. It should be noted that we're not changing offline skill training for active subscribers in any way.

Read full post

Certificates: Planning the Future

By CCP Greyscale
| Comments

So recently we've been working on a compact feature called Certificates. This blog is going to make a spirited attempt at explaining the why, the what and the how of said feature with the goal of disseminating information and soliciting feedback. Hurrah. After finishing writing this I realize there's actually quite a few words here.

Read full post

My node was equipped with the following...

By CCP Mindstar
| Comments

Gentlemen! I thought I would add to the recent dev blogs we have had over the last couple of weeks and talk about what has been going on with the Tranquility cluster itself - in relation to the StacklessIO and 64-bit EVE enhancements and where we are heading into the future. 1 x EVE Server Cluster The EVE Cluster is broken into 3 distinct layers, and a bit of the terminology that is thrown around from time to time (including later in this blog) can be explained quite simply here. Proxy Blades- T...

Read full post

Boozing in Stations

By CCP Eris Discordia
| Comments

Hello, capsuleers! How's life in the vacuum of space? I'm not doing bad myself, thank you. At the moment I'm listening to Vitalic remixes while jotting down some words to keep you all up to date. So here is the real blog, and I won't bother you about the weather in Iceland (sunny!). We are making good progress on WiS.

Read full post

New editions, old additions

By Zapatero
| Comments

Back in February, almost 1400 players took part in the E-ON Alliance Survey. The survey was conducted to research the nature of alliances, 0.0 conflict and the capabilities of alliances or coalitions to ever mount a serious challenge to the entirety of 0.0 space.

Read full post

EVE64

By CCP Explorer
| Comments

EVE64 We recently deployed a new technology to the EVE universe, StacklessIO, which is a new, robust, network technology for both the EVE server and clients. The server version was released 16 September and the client version was released 30 September with the Empyrean Age 1.1.1 patch. We have received great feedback and we hope you are enjoying it.

Read full post