Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for April 2007

Exploration, exploration, exploration

By CCP Greyscale
| Comments

This was very nearly a “hi, I’m a new designer” blog, but then Chronotis beat me to it, so instead it’s going to be about exploration. I was reading the forums this morning while preparing some more updates for the In Development page, and realised that there were a few questions floating around that we now have answers to but haven’t shared with you yet.

Read full post

Tales of Configuration Management

By Mephysto
| Comments

So, its been a while since my last devblog. I've been pretty busy this year, as my primary role within QA has changed from Tester to Configuration Manager (Tanis is now primarily responsible for the Testing area, you can read his blog here).

Read full post

Burning Pods - The Alliance Tournament Redux

By CCP Eris Discordia
| Comments

After a long period of silence, we thought it was time for a blog regarding the alliance tournament. We haven’t forgotten about it; in fact, we’ve been working on a few changes. The underlying idea for the next tournament is to have it more closely resemble normal combat in EVE. We want to give more freedom to the alliances to effectively use different strategies and tactics.

Read full post

It's getting hot in here

By CCP Tuxford
| Comments

So what's Tuxford been working on lately? Well I've moved my desk and now enjoy the company of the good people in game cell programming department. The reason for this is simply that I'm doing a bit of programming. What I've primarily been tinkering around is heat. Those of you that have the latest issue of EON have read a bit about the feature but in short it's the ability to squeeze that little bit extra out of your modules by overloading them.

Read full post

Your Client Performance and You - Upcoming Improvements

By CCP Oveur
| Comments

The last blog covered performance and lag issues, something which sparked a lot of discussion - not only about the client but in general that we felt we were blaming the internet for everything. We understand why this confusion occurs, especially since we haven't covered a lot of the lower level technology improvements that we're working on.

Read full post

Oops! I broke it.

By CCP Tanis
| Comments

Who am I? Greetings fellow capsuleers! For those of you who have not yet encountered me, I am Tanis, the Test Mangement Lead here at CCP. I have been involved with EVE since it was in beta in 2002. In 2004 I joined ISD: AURORA and worked with the events team as a Senior Event Producer until 2006 when I accepted a position with CCP in the Quality Assurance department. What will you do for me? So now that the introduction is out of the way I suppose some of you might be wondering, “so what exactly...

Read full post

Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom - and lag?

By CCP Oveur
| Comments

Very many things are happening here at castle CCP. Well, a lot has already happened. We should probably begin at the beginning, right? Anxiety for me is a good thing. It's a complex feeling and you can have it for positive and negative reasons, but in the end, it's one of my main driving forces. Is this good enough? Could we have done better? How will it really be recieved? Does beer numb the pain? Based on my experience, I can ever only answer the last one with the utmost certainty.

Read full post

Life in Polaris – Inside Scoop on the ‘other side’

By CCP Chronotis
| Comments

By way of an introduction I want to write about life on the other side. I am one of the many new additions to CCP, having come from the ranks of players. I have given up a career and another well paid life to take my passion for Eve to the ultimate level and help develop it. I am Chronotis, newest member of the rapidly expanding Game Design Cell. Whilst working my notice in my previous job, I had much trepidation about what was expected of me and what I expected of CCP.

Read full post

Loot'n Toot'n Freighters

By CCP Atlas
| Comments

As some of you have already realized we're making some changes to freighters and how they work. Some of these changes are already implemented in Revelations 1.4, but others will be made in the forthcoming 1.4.2 patch as well as this summer's scheduled Revelations 2 deployment. Can it be?! Do Freighters finally drop loot?? Before Revelations 1.4, freighters did not drop any loot when they were destroyed, something which could be both disastrous and handy for the owner.

Read full post

Iceland ahoy!

By CCP Garthagk
| Comments

As of Monday I have become a resident of the great city of Reykjavík, Iceland. I left behind my (most recent) home in San Francisco so that I could come work from the office here. It may sound crazy, but the opportunity to be out here and work for CCP was just too great to pass up. Cool people, cool software, and of course lots of bree! The trip was not without its issues, of course.

Read full post

E-ON #007 coming soon, plus, the ruminations of a friday-addled mind

By Zapatero
| Comments

Brothers and sisters of EVE, must we fight so? Can we not put aside our differences, just for a moment, and celebrate the coming gloriousness of E-ON? A publication so wondrous and ebullient that every silken page is woven with tacit threads of pure love that spread peace among the hearts of those who touch each virgin page - even those cursed with the darkest of ventricle chambers. ...Yes, it really is that good.

Read full post

New features in the World Of EVE - APRIL FOOLS JOKE!

By CCP Ginger
| Comments

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE AND NOT A REAL DEV BLOG! Work on Revelations 2 is underway, and I have been asked to discuss the latest changes that will be making it in. While this new expansion will be bringing a host of new features, we continue working on improving existing gameplay and ironing out those pesky bugs. One of these features that has undergone a complete rework is the death penalty and the associated hurdles that come with it.

Read full post