Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for September 2005

E-ON: Issue #001 - Construction Complete

By Zapatero

Last week the first ever issue of EON magazine was completed and as I write this the pages are rolling off the presses. European buyers should expect the mag to arrive in their mailboxes before October 6th, while those in other parts of the globe should get it around October 9th.

Read full post

Next-Gen Manufacturing and Research Facilities

By CCP Oveur

As some of you may have noticed, in the "In Development" section, Next-Gen Manufacturing and Research Facilities is ... in development. I thought that since this was such a massive change to the system, I'd start spreading some of the love well before it will hit Tranquility. Tank CEO > Why are we doing this? The reason for us doing Next-Gen Manufacturing and Research Facilities, which consists of a full rewrite of the system is mainly twofold. First, the system today is costing a lot of server ...

Read full post

Victims of our own success

By kieron

A number of players have noticed an increase of lag over the recent weeks and an increasing number of node deaths have been occurring. Stuck petitions have been on the rise and overall playability in high traffic systems has suffered as a result. The forums have been disabled at random times and the character sheet function is no longer available. What happened? A combination of things, but mostly, EVE has been victimized by its own success. The server hardware that I mentioned a month or so bac...

Read full post

64 bits

By CCP CAPSLOCK

A common cause for node deaths is memory exhaustion. Sometimes this is due to some memory-eating monsterbug, but often the virtual address space of 2GB in a 32-bit process simply fills up with legitimate user data. No matter how much memory is installed on the machine, each process can only address 2GB of this. In order to alleviate this and to buy us more room for growth, we have been working on porting the server binaries to the new x64 architecture and have them run as 64 bit processes under ...

Read full post

Fleetbattles, or 'What systems have the smell of napalm in the morning?'

By CCP Oveur

What's your favorite "HED-GP" and where do you find yourself fighting in the largest battles most often? After the gate changes to 0.0 and the sovereignty battles, our feeling is that it has dispersed to some extent and we'd like to get some feedback on that. The reason I ask is that we're reviewing our load balancing system in light of recent system overloads and figured that this would also be a good opportunity to try to involve fleebattle solar system into the calculations behind the load ba...

Read full post

I figured we should share some of the fitted module stats. Oh, and 70K! :)

By CCP Oveur

My hangover was massive this morning, we had a small celebration last night because we have just surpassed 70,000 active accounts. Thank you everyone for making this possible, this couldn't have happened without you, the massive EVE community :) As with all CCP parties, our best game design meetings seem to happen there and one thing leads to another dry Vodka Martini, uhm ...

Read full post

EVE Online Graphic Novel, Artists Wanted

By kieron

Are you an artist with a comic book background, familiar with pencils, color, lettering, covers, or design? You think you have an eye for the EVE universe and are just waiting for the opportunity to put it down on paper? Modi Thorsson, a veteran graphic novel writer with credits including works for Wizards of the Coast, is in the process of producing a graphic novel based on the EVE universe.

Read full post

EON too much for words.

By CCP Hellmar

Hi, I am just back from London where I among other things visited the guys making the EON Magazine. It must be said that Zapatero and his gang have created something far beyond what any one could have imagined.

Read full post

I hope you all have your towels ready, because it's time to panic. The MK2 Project

By CCP Tuxford

Have you ever wondered what role Heron is supposed to fill? It's not a very good tackler, even though it has 3 medium slots, because it is heavy and not very fast. It can't be used as an assault ship as it has got neither the defenses nor the firepower. The Heron is a good example of a ship that has no role. Other ships seem to have a role but are not very good at it.

Read full post

Interstellar Services Department Volunteer of the Year, 2005

By kieron

Every so often, I have a topic worthy of a Dev Blog. Whereas the Blogs written by the Devs are generally game related, mine tend to be about community related events and the like. Very rarely do I have the opportunity to Blog about the Interstellar Services Department (ISD) volunteer teams and the work that they do.

Read full post

NPC Pirates: Upcoming addons & improvements

By CCP TomB

New NPC Pirates NPC Pirates have been missing out on the fun of destroyers, battlecruisers, logistics, assault ships and covert ops. The next Big Content Patch (B.C.P.) will introduce new pirate types that will be able to play the roles of these ships. Pirate NPC Naming As we are adding new Pirate NPC types, new names must be created.

Read full post