Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for September 2004

Oh packet, where art thou? Your internet connection and EVE!

By CCP Oveur

We have been going over information regarding connections to the EVE cluster and the quality of the paths. To get a better picture of this, we would like to ask you a small favor to help us better map access and peering into the EVE hosting center. To help, we need a visual overview of your route to the hosting center.

Read full post

OMG LEET LEWT! Coming soon to a cargo container near you!

By CCP Hammer

For a while now many EVE pilots have been lamenting the lack of meta versions of certain newer modules that have released since the game went live. Well these are exciting times to be an NPC hunter my friends. Sexy new meta versions of many modules should start dropping from all sorts of NPCs. Including but not limited to: Warp Core Stabs Armor Coatings Armor Hardeners Energized Armor Plates Armor Repair Projectors Aux Power Cores Ballistic Controls Energy Neutralizers Energy Transfer Array Ener...

Read full post

EVE Time Codes

By CCP Hellmar

We have been extending our Game Time Card system to allow for codes acquired through other means than of the back of a scratch card. We call this new system EVE Time Codes (ETC for short). These are basically a string of 16 characters, which you can use to add game time to your account.

Read full post

Agents and almost everything about them

By CCP t20

At first we released all of the constellation, solar system and region data to the community, and since then we've seen an influx in the number of tools you guys released, be it standalone or web-based ... you actually used it beyond anything we'd have expected. The updated excel sheet includes for one, the stations so you can increase the detailed data for the solar systems and also the agents at those stations, including their quality and level.

Read full post

More platforms

By CCP Hellmar

Noticed this petition about adopting EVE to more operating systems. This topic has often been discussed here at CCP but it always boils down to were we should focus our efforts, i.e. should we port to Mac and/or Linux or concentrate on making existing platform even smoother. Nothing would be done until after Shiva of course, I would still be interested to hear what you think. - Hellmar

Read full post

9204 work hours into Shiva

By CCP Oveur

After 30 days of crunching Shiva we have logged 9204 work hours. I'm at 314 hours myself. We have the core functionality of Player Owned Structures (Tentative real name is "Starbases") hammered down into code, clearing out bugs and starting work on defensive structures. Moon mining is also starting integration work, that's the part that will generate materials that you can, amongst other things, manufacture current and future Tech Level components from.Complex infrastructure just about done so "...

Read full post

It's been a wild week!

By kieron

Lots of things have happened in the EVE universe this week. Some mediocre, some good, some great! Oveur and I have had spotty activity with the community and our co-workers this week, but for different reasons. Earlier in the week, Oveur hurt his back at home. This caused some problems as it limited the amount of time that he could spend at the keyboard. I attended the Austin Game Conference and have had limited computer access (who would have thought that at a game conference!).

Read full post

Well, I guess it´s time to own up...

By CCP Red Button

As always our policy is that you deserve the truth no matter what. The reason for the server outages yesterday and this evening is and was a tiny module in the network equipment called a gigabit interface card (gbic). The EVE cluster consists of a row of frontend servers (proxies) and another row of application servers behind those.

Read full post

New simultaneous player record for 2004

By CCP Hellmar

Congratulations everybody on our new record 10.744! What a solid increase over our last record :-) This record is the effect of various items falling into place: Hardware upgrade fully tuned for maximum performance Summer vacations are over (the effects of which could clearly be seen in various trends) Last patch bringing performance and stability improvements The Power of 2 campaign being quite well received ...

Read full post