Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for July 2004

First updates to the Shiva feature pages

By CCP Oveur

Just published some updates to the Shiva feature pages, we're nearing the feature freeze, the place in time where we finalize what features will be in Shiva. We then start crunching code which takes us to a code freeze or release candidate stage, where features that are not ready are cut and the team is focused on rinsing out the bugs.

Read full post

Client Optimization and faulty hardware

By CCP Oveur

Damnit, malfunctioning hardware can really ruin your day. We had a faulty fiber NIC today, which caused 1/3 of the nodes to go offline in the time it took to failover, same happened when the new one was inserted. So much for "hot swapping" huh?. It's been replaced and shouldn't cause trouble, we apologize for the inconvenience. As I have mentioned earlier, we are working on client optimizations, focusing now on load times, then going on to rendering and UI specific issues.

Read full post

Log-on and log-off, the bastard son and his sister

By CCP Oveur

As you have noticed, our previous countermeasures to the log-on and log-off have started to wear off. People find ways to circumvent them so we are going to add further countermeasures to this. Here is a revised design, suggestions very welcome. Our goals are to prevent log-on and log-off being used as a "tactic" while trying to prevent ship losses if a player gets disconnected, mostly in PVE encounters.

Read full post

Local chat and pilots in space map information

By CCP Oveur

I wrote up drafts for the system scanning and we almost have ready the log-on traps/log-off escape design revision. They are now up for internal review, I'll then publish them here for your review shortly. This should allow you to do full system scans for ships and objects, prevent log-on traps while not preventing a disconnected player to jump right back in along with less loopholes to intentionally circumvent combat that you shouldn't usually be able to get out off. But when thinking of system...

Read full post

Bugs, Bugs, Bugs

By CCP Redundancy

It's been quite a while since I first announced that I was working on changes to the infrastructure of how bugs are reported and processed in Eve (first announced here). I've been rolling out changes in phases, starting internally here at CCP with the bigger shakeups, and slowly moving outwards while maintaining and upgrading from those initial foundations. I've finally reached the point were external changes are starting to happen, although they're initially minor to players, they involve some ...

Read full post

Bug fixes, more nodes, TL2, the log-on/log-off and cloaking!

By CCP Oveur

We're focusing very much on bug fixing these days, deploying server updates almost daily during weekdays. We usually only do client patches on Tuesdays since they are quite an undertaking and require more staff available for quick response and we don't want to mess with the weekends. Bug fixing means you will see fewer features until Shiva.

Read full post

Multiple EVE Clients on same machine? Tell us your magic tricks

By CCP Oveur

This is a very common thing, running multiple EVE clients on the same machine. Some people never encounter any problems with this, some get occasional crashes and others need a client with build number *666 to make it work properly. Well, just kidding with the build number, but it's a good a pattern as any we can pinpoint.

Read full post

Tranquility, patch and proposed cloaking

By CCP Oveur

The patch went relatively well, we got in a number of good fixes and our work on server stability and lag seems to be paying off (knock-on-tritanium). There are still some more things to be done to address the recent situation on Tranquility. We have added bandwidth, audited local networks and hardware, gone over operating systems and software and hundreds of thousands of lines of server code.

Read full post

Patch, Cloaking and Metallica

By CCP Oveur

Patch is coming out tomorrow as scheduled, unless something severe comes up from QA. It contains only fixes and improvements to the servers and the client, addressing a number of issues that may cause client lag along with the new turret balance changes that are live on Entropy. Set long skill training, we can never foresee what happens when 7000 people start hammering on code changes, so expect a bumpy ride.

Read full post

Changes to the credit card billing process

By CCP Hellmar

We are making slight changes to the credit card billing process in cooperation with our billing partners. We will be performing more stringent checks for expired and closed credit cards. If your account becomes disabled over the next few days, it is highly likely that you have received a new credit card since you originally subscribed to EVE, but not updated your subscription information. If you have recently received a new credit card, the best thing to do is to login to our secure account mana...

Read full post

Castor Patch 10 scheduled for deployment on next Tuesday

By CCP Oveur

Since many players thought I was wasting my time with asking for their opinion on some thoughts and should be fixing the game, I decided to do just that :D Patch containing fixes and improvements has been in Release Candidate state on Entropy for some time, scheduled for deployment next Tuesday.

Read full post

Can't live with them, can't live without them: Instajump bookmarks

By CCP Oveur

This always brings a heated discussion. Instajumps, a "well programmed navigation computer". I love them and I hate them. They enable me to travel faster and safer if I or any one in my corp takes the time to map out the route with insta bookmarks. They also enable my enemy to travel faster and safer, they essentially ruin the ability to close down gates in many cases, although it is possible to stop an instajumper by doing a serial blockade, a veteran player can easily circumvent that. Now, I'm...

Read full post