Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for September 2003

The Help Channel

By GM Regius

I've noticed that there is a discussion on the forums about the in-game help channel about who is who and how it works. Let me describe how it really works: The in-game Help channel is conceived as a venue for players to help other players. The most important participant on the Help Channel is you :) You can contribute to other players from your wealth of knowledge and experience. Polaris member (green & light blue text) who are players like yourself devote their time as much as they can to cont...

Read full post

Territorial Owernship of Corps

By CCP TomB

Security drops for attacking players were removed from non-Empire space a long time ago when corporations were not able to fight spies bookmarking areas around them to plan attacks. Pirates have because of this been growing their security status and are starting to hide behind their security status as criminals.

Read full post

Memory leaks, lag and server reboots

By Fuhry

Shortly after the servers on Tranquility were patched last Wednesday we discovered a memory leak on them. 'Discovering' might be an understatement as the nodes actually gobbled up all the memory in few hours and then blew up in our faces. We have been working hard on identifying the cause for this and believe we have fixed the problem.

Read full post

Continuous commodity market

By LeKjart

I've been making design changes to the NPC commodity market such that supply and demand is continuous, instead of being reseeded during downtime. This should level the field for all players (especially Australians), as well as making price dynamic more rich. At the same time it will probably be a good idea to revisit some of the parameters there, such as distribution, price margins and volumes.

Read full post

Unclassified in-house dev animation

By CCP t0rfifrans

We created an animation sequence that we used in-house to roughly visualize how the new deployable and anchorable player owned constructions work. You can see it here. Note that this is subject to change ( it actually has changed when this is written) , it is more to give you an idea of where we are headed.

Read full post

EVE CSS: The backlog has finally been cleared !

By GM Regius

Dear players, We have finally managed to clear the email backlog, so we are finally back on track. Some of you however may still not have received an answer to your email or petition as it waits for CCP. I can also ensure you that we are constantly working on improving and streamlining our support workflow; amongst them are client unstuck which is being developed at the moment.

Read full post

3D Gamers "get it"

By Hilmarie

Nice review from 3D Gamers """ All in all, CCP have created a masterpiece of a game that is thoroughly involving and immersive. It is one of the most visually stunning games this reviewer has had a chance to play. It is gigantic in both in-game size and scope which will only continue to evolve and with continuing content development, leave you with seemingly limitless opportunities.

Read full post

EVE CSS: Our procedures and policy

By CCP Arkanon

Hi there. You’re probably more familiar with me as the annoying guy that keeps saying no to people than a blogger and for good reason: I don’t blog. Here’s a brief rundown on how we do our work, and the attempt to maintain a structure to our support policy in the ever changing world of EVE. Petitions. Let’s start with petitions.

Read full post

Cloaking close to uncloaking

By LeKjart

I've been coding in the last few details of ship cloaking, and it should be ready for general testing after the week-end. It will be interesting to see how this will affect combat tactics.

Read full post

Advanced manufacturing

By CCP Oveur

One of the things that has been in the pipes for a couple of months now is Tech Level II. There are some items already in-game but the reason for it not being widespread is that Tech Level II stuff has a more complex manufacturing process. Tech Level II needs new things to manufacture certain items, need the new mineral coming and also has additional skill requirements to do it (Being able to do it) and others to enhance the process (Efficiency).

Read full post

The gateway router gets new software and other things

By CCP Red Button

We have now upgraded the OS on the gateway router that was giving us all the trouble last week. This was done during downtime on Tuesday and since then there have been no reported incidents of packetloss or instability that can be traced to the gateway router. So far so good. Let´s hope it was just the software.

Read full post

Oh ... and how to play on Chaos

By CCP Oveur

Bad Harlequin pointed out that there are some things that you need to do before you can play on Chaos. First, go the the Test Patch page. You need to copy your current EVE directory and download the test patches from that site to be able to play on Chaos.

Read full post

New stuff and Chaos, our test server

By CCP Oveur

If you want to keep up with whats happening on Chaos, our test server, you can always read this Patch Review thread. On Chaos we test new and upcoming things along with fixes to bugs and various balancing issues. We always try to balance the focus between adding new things and fixing others.

Read full post

Status of Customer Support

By GM Regius

Hi all! This is my first post on the dev blog; I'm head of Customer Support. I want to let you know about the current status of Customer Support as the problems we have had for the last 2 weeks have also had a big impact on our performance. We try to resolve all petitions within couple of hours. Unfortunately the email backlog has grown dramatically over the last week even though we are doing all we can to handle the load.

Read full post