Dev Blogs

Archive

Viewing archived items for June 2003

Blueprint copies

By CCP Hellmar

Currently the difference between blueprint originals and blueprint copies is too little. An idea to fix this is to give the maker of the copy the power to declare how many items can be produced with the copy. This allows for controlled subcontracting: "I give you a copy for 10 5Z-5 Neutralizing ECM Eruption, you give me 7 and you can keep 3.

Read full post

Live fast, die young

By CCP Hellmar

Anyone interested in a character creation option that allows you to train skills at double the time as normal character does. The flip side would be that such characters would suffer from perma-death (i.e. if podded, could never be played again). A moderation could be to have 50% faster learning and loose all skills on death, not quite perma-death but still a big enough penalty to justify the bonus.

Read full post

Safer bids

By LeKjart

Many of the market scams we have seen rely on the fact that someone that is making a bid doesn't need to have the funds to back it up. We used to have a large penalty for anyone caught doing that, but players complained about this. Now what I would like to see is to have the money actually put in a special frozen account while the bid is active.

Read full post

Unscheduled downtime 04:00- 04:30 and CTD

By CCP Hellmar

It turned out that there were more code paths than the agent mission pirate scenario that caused the illegal state described in my last entry. In the downtime last night we put out a fix that banns the illegal state at the lower level in the system and stacktraces the code path causing it. Now that I have received the logs from last night, which include logs from 04:30-11:00 I see that group based NPC infestations of scenarios and encounters was also at fault and the low level fix holds as the "...

Read full post

'Allo 'allo

By LeKjart

Spent this week on a distributor and press tour in Paris with Siggi, our PR and marketing guy. The whole of France was paralyzed with strikes, and at some point I was convinced that I would probably have to sleep underneath Seine's bridges. But as french people are accustomed to massive strikes, life somehow went on as usual, and with the good help of Aurélie and André at THQ we somehow managed to cover everything we wanted to.

Read full post

Unscheduled downtime 20:00-20:30 and CTD

By CCP Hellmar

The reason for the CTDs that have the following symptoms: Player comes out of warp and CTD's; then for each login of that character, a CTD occurs when “tuning into subspace frequency”. Only fix is to petition for a GM move. I will now attempt to explain how the crash occurred.

Read full post

Patch delayed until tomorrow

By CCP Hellmar

We need one more day to close down some issues raised in our internal testing and on the Patch Review board. This also gives us time to slap on CSPA protection on gang invite, which makes invites to someone that doesn’t trust you cost and also makes it possible for us to track invite spam to confirm such allegations.

Read full post

Suggestions for improving the new boards

By CCP CAPSLOCK

Please give us your input regarding the new boards (features you'd like to see, stuff you just can't live without, etc.) I had put this post in General Discussion, but it got lost without the Sticky Post feature being in yet. I've already collected all the requests there, so if you've already responded, you don't need to repeat yourself here - unless you've come up with some new stuff you didn't have in your previous wish list.

Read full post

Delicate delegation

By CCP Hellmar

We have done changes to the corp offices you can rent at stations. Now each office is in effect 7 containers, 5 based on security clearance and 2 special, one for market activity by the corp and one for factory activity. 5 roles have been added, Security Clearance 1-5. As the clearance "levels" are basically roles, then having clearance 5 doesn’t imply that you have clearance 1, each lower clearance has to be assigned.

Read full post

Guns at the gate

By CCP Hellmar

We have sentry guns at empire stargates now running on the Test server. Currently they behave like the sentry guns at the stations, that is they don't pre-emptively strike but are only triggered by combat in the vicinity. We are looking into having sentry guns at both stations and stargates to strike pre-emptively if a ship that is grossly out of line standing vise (security or faction) gets in their range. We are also looking into changing all jumps to be gate-to-gate.

Read full post

CONCORD deploys Special Ops

By CCP Hellmar

Just a word of warning to the ones that want to make a name for themselves in the world of EVE. Empire controlled space, means that the space is controlled by the empires. If the police are not cutting it against players riding an obviously imbalanced module combination, reinforcements will be called, be it special NPCs or GM controlled NPCs (special-ops). Do as you please in non-empire space but please don’t complain when the empires take action against you in their space, when you are obviousl...

Read full post

Continuous reseeding

By LeKjart

Been captivated by a book called Blackbox by Nick Walker these last evenings, so I completely forgot to blog. Otherwise I've been looking at making reseeding of various NPC stuff continuous. There are some guys already 'playing' the reseeds which is kind of immersion breaking.

Read full post

Extended downtime today

By CCP Hellmar

The reason for the changes to the downtime today 11:20-13:00 instead of the normal 11:00-12:00 is that we are installing SNMP extensions to our SQL Server monster machine, this requires a reinstall of sp3. Once the SNMP extensions are in it will allow is to trend more performance counters over time to better tune the tables/procs and SQL configurations to make EVE even smoother. Unfortunately we couldn't role-play the reason as the message needed to get a cross.

Read full post

Sliding doors on the Test server

By CCP Hellmar

A new backup from TQ has been installed to the Test server. Think of it as a save game you can play to test out something you haven't got guts for in "real life" (on TQ). Wanna kill members of m0o in a suicide mission, want to insult your lvl 3 agent, overtake an encounter, find out just how tough the Guristas Usurper is, test station building before investing all that money, Chaos is the place. On Chaos there's light at the end of the tunnel and it is the train.

Read full post

Matrox does EVE

By CCP Hellmar

My man Omar at Matrox just sent word that the surround gaming section for EVE is up: http://www.matrox.com/mga/3d_gaming/surrgame.cfm http://www.matrox.com/mga/3d_gaming/enhanced_games/eve.cfm

Read full post

Finally a Secure Player Website Login

By CCP CAPSLOCK

After having had to wait some time for the certificate, having it installed on the webservers and having the ISP people enabling routing to the SSL websites, we now finally can read the DEV Blogs and Messageboard without having to fear for our EVE login credentials. Me and Hellmar are updating our passwords though, just in case ;)

Read full post

Stasis Web

By CCP Hellmar

The real reason for the Stasis web was human error. The process of copying partial file updates from Chaos to the massive cluster that TQ is involves too many hands, specially in case of rather extensive, partial, binary updates as the Python engine fix required (no we don't have an auto patcher for the server :)). The people involved have taken the administrative punishment required for such a big blunder (think the opening scene of Dracula where there are frogs in stead of bodies that a impale...

Read full post

Communication Censoring

By CCP Hellmar

The reason forcing us to having to replace & from chat channel names is that there was an error in text formatting which adds ... to the end of words that can't be displayed due to space constraints. This was particularly noticeable in chat channel names. The ... logic did take correctly into account the escape sequences for >

Read full post

Bug in the Python engine

By CCP Hellmar

We have discovered a bug in the Python engine. It has to do with a debug feature that we turned on in beta to hunt reference leaks. Basically we added #define COUNT_ALLOCS which adds the sys.getobjects function.

Read full post
Prev 1 2 Next