EVE Online Naming Policy
1. ACCOUNT USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS
- a. EVE Online account usernames must contain at least four alphanumeric characters, may not contain spaces or unconventional characters and must not be vulgar, obscene, ethnically, racially or sexually offensive or otherwise inappropriate.
- b. EVE Online account passwords must contain at least four alphanumerical characters and may not contain spaces or non-standard characters.
- c. EVE Online subscribers are responsible for protecting the confidentiality of their account information. Any authorized use of a subscriber’s account by another individual is the responsibility of the account holder. The subscriber is responsible for the behavior of others who are permitted to use his or her account. Therefore, account holders are strongly urged not to share accounts or account information with others.
- d. A subscriber who suspects an unauthorized person may have obtained access to his password should change it immediately by accessing his account profile.
- e. Usernames cannot be changed; however, subscribers are urged to change account passwords at regular intervals as a precautionary measure.
NOTE: No employee of CCP nor one of its authorized representatives will ever ask for your password. Should someone claiming to be a CCP associate request your password, DO NOT GIVE IT. Instead, notify the support team immediately by sending a support ticket. Please retain all related documentation in the event it is needed during a possible investigation.
2. IN-GAME NAMES
Note: This list is not all-inclusive. Other names may be deemed inappropriate at a GM’s discretion.
a. Valid player character names:
- Must be at least 3 characters.
Cannot exceed 37 characters. (This limit includes one space between the characters name and family name.)
- Name cannot exceed 24 characters. The name can include a middle name separated by a space.
- Family name cannot exceed 12 characters.
- May contain the characters A-Z, a-z, 0-9, hyphen-minus and single quotation. (Corporation names may also include the dot character.)
- Space, hyphen-minus and single quotation characters are not allowed as the first or last character in a name.
- Must be unique.
b. In-game names may not:
- Impersonate or parody any employee or representative of EVE Online, CCP, Customer Support personnel or volunteers.
- Impersonate or parody an NPC type from the EVE game world (i.e. CONCORD or other official NPC corporation or organization members) for the purpose of misleading other players.
- Reflect, glorify or emulate any real-world group or organization, terrorist society, criminal elements, discriminating organizations or their leaders and figureheads. This includes the use of names of real-world military, political or religious groups.
- Be obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, offensive, hurtful, harmful, promote drugs, profane, anti-gay, and ethnically, racially or sexually offensive or impart any real-world hostility toward a specific nationality, race or religion.
- In-game names include, but are not limited to: Character names, corporation names, alliance names and any other player-nameable item or entity within the game world.
- c. No player may use the character name of another player to falsely represent his or her identity. Player created corporation and alliance names also fall under this policy, as do names of any other in-game entities.
- a. If a name is deemed inappropriate, GM’s may be able to change the character’s name in some circumstances. This is solely at the discretion of CCP and/or its representatives based on, but not limited to, account and player history and the severity of the violation. There is no guarantee that the name will be changed. Only character names that are deemed as inappropriate are eligible for a possible name change. Names will not be changed for any other reason.
- b. Blatantly offensive names created in direct violation of the EVE Online Terms Of Service and the User and Character Name Policy will not be eligible for name change approval under any circumstances. These characters and their assets will be immediately deleted upon discovery and disciplinary action may be taken against the player’s account.
c. The following guidelines will apply in the event that approval is given for a name change under the scope of this policy:
- The new name must be unique and may not violate any of the rules set forth in this policy. In some cases GM’s might choose a new name for the character if they are unable to contact the player. In that event, the player may file a support ticket and request to select a new name.
- Only one character per account may have a name changed in accordance with this policy. In the event that multiple character on the same account are found with inappropriate names, the remaining characters and their assets will be deleted.
- Age of the account or character is insignificant. Players who have knowingly and willingly given their characters inappropriate names and successfully avoided detection of this infraction against the rules will not be rewarded for their improprieties by escaping reprimand.
- Player-run corporations, factions, organizations and player-owned items within the EVE Online game world are also subject to these rules and policies. Players may not create, promote or be a member of a group that violates the policies outlined herein. Membership or participation in such a group may result in character deletion, temporary suspension or termination of a subscriber’s account.